QuickBooks 2008, QuickBooks for Mac 2007, and the 2008 QB Support and QB Products are scheduled to sunset on May 31, 2011. This means the software will no longer be supported and the services will stop working. If you are using 2008 QuickBooks Software, Support, or Products you might want to consider upgrading to QuickBooks 2011.
Who Will This Sunset Affect?
The following QuickBooks services will be discontinued as of May 31, 2011:
- Online Banking – QuickBooks 2008 will no longer connect with your financial institution.
- Bill Pay and Billing Solution – Both services will be discontinued.
- QuickBooks Email – Your company will no longer be able to email reports, invoices, forms, etc. through Intuit’s server. You will still be able to email through Outlook.
- QuickBooks Payroll – Assisted, Basic, Standard and Enhanced Payroll will no longer calculate payroll taxes and provide payroll tax forms, resulting in inaccurate payrolls. In most cases, your payroll subscriptions will be deactivated. The Employee Organizer will also no longer be available.
- Credit Card Processing – Credit Card Processing, Automatic Credit Card Billing, and Terminal Downloads will be discontinued and will no longer work.
- Online Backup – Will no longer be an available option for your QuickBooks 2008 company file.
- Live Technical Support – Will be discontinued.
- Check with Intuit for a full list of discontinued products and services.
What Should My Small Business Do?
If your business uses QuickBooks 2008 or QuickBooks for Mac 2007, and you only use the products contained on your computer, than you can continue to use your older version of QuickBooks software. The disadvantages to continuing to use your older version of QB software includes:
- Intuit will no longer be sending out updates and fixing software bugs.
- Intuit will also be discontinuing their live customer support for QB 2008 and QB for Mac 2007.
- Potential errors and troubles if you try to install QuickBooks 2008 on another computer using your original software disk. The version of QuickBooks 2008 or QuickBooks for Mac 2007 you are currently working in will most likely contain software updates released by Intuit over the past few years. When you attempt to open your current QuickBooks company file using your original software, you might receive errors and may not be able to access your data. There are potential ways around this problem, but no guaranteed solutions. Please contact your Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor for assistance.
- QuickBooks Products and Services will be discontinued, meaning they will no longer work.
If your small business uses QuickBooks support, products, and services you will need to upgrade. QuickBooks 2011 has added a handful of new features making it easier to track your business’ financial operations. Keep your eyes out for deals on QuickBooks 2011. Often times Amazon, Costco, major office supply stores, and QuickBooks ProAdvisors will offer discounts on QB software. If you are tired of dealing with software update hassles, you might want to consider QuickBooks Online. Don’t forget to Back Up your QuickBooks company file before upgrading.
As always, please contact your bookkeeper, accountant, Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor, or CPA for assistance with your QuickBooks questions and concerns.
Michelle is the owner of Trailhead Accounting Solutions CPA, LLC, an Erie, CO based CPA firm focused on providing small and mid-sized businesses with day-to-day accounting, bookkeeping, and business solutions. Michelle is a CFO turned consultant who loves working with small businesses and entrepreneurs. When she’s not crunching numbers, she can be found hiking, remote camping, gardening, quilting, and hanging out with her family.